Castles of south Belgium
castles of south Belgium
The Province of Liège in Belgium has many beautiful castles that are worth visiting. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Castle of Modave - located in the village of Modave, this beautiful castle is surrounded by a large park and features a unique octagonal tower.
- Castle of Jehay - this impressive Renaissance castle, located in the village of Amay, has been beautifully restored and is now open to the public.
- Castle of Franchimont - situated in Theux, this medieval fortress dates back to the 11th century and offers stunning views of the surrounding area.
- Castle of Bouillon - while technically not in the Province of Liège (it's in the Province of Luxembourg), this castle is well worth the visit. It's one of the most famous castles in Belgium and was the site of many battles during the Middle Ages.
- Castle of Raeren - located in the town of Raeren, this 14th-century castle has been beautifully restored and is now home to a museum of decorative arts.
- Castle of Reinhardstein - situated in the High Fens natural park, this medieval castle is perched on a rocky outcrop and offers stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- Castle of La Roche-en-Ardenne - another castle technically outside the province, this medieval fortress is located in the Ardennes region and offers breathtaking views of the River Ourthe and the surrounding forests.
These are just a few of the many castles to visit in the Province of Liège. Each one offers a unique glimpse into Belgium's rich history and cultural heritage.